Mark Reed wrote:
>On 9/4/07, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > ROGER MILLS wrote:
> > > Nam vir est bonus beatus
> > > (three times)
> > > quod nemo negare potest.
> >
> > I know the latter as:
> >
> > Sodalis enim est gratus!
> > (three times)
> > Num quis illud negat?
> >
> > That one scans better, IMO. I think dropping a syllable on the last line
>is better than putting the emPHAsis on the seCOND sylLABle of "potest" (and
>inserting an extra syllable, which is harmless...).

The difference is the US vs. UK (or at least alternate) versions, if I'm not
mistaken............
US: ...which nobody ca-an deny (8 syllables, extended "can"; or 7 if not)
UK:...and so say all of we.  (6 syl., no slide on "all")
either way you get stress on the last syllable, whether -ny, we, -gat or
-test