Hi James,

I've thought about this sort of thing a few times, but I've always ended
up with the feeling that, in my real-life projects, I don't need the
complexity of a links document maintained separately from all the other
documents. For examples like those below, I think I'd simply enter an
@corresp attribute into one or both of the source documents:

<persName xml:id="FooWanInst1" corresp="doc2.xml#FooWan24"> Mr Foo Wan
</persName>

If the back-end system is sophisticated enough (an eXist db, say), then
that's enough info to get from either document element to the other one.
If it's not sophisticated, then you'd need a similar @corresp attribute
in doc2.xml.

It would be handy if, when you're typing an attribute that has values of
data.pointer, oXygen could offer all the values of xml:id from all the
currently-open documents as options in a drop-down list. I don't know
exactly how it could be expected to handle the relative paths between
such documents, though, especially if they happened to be on different
drives, opened through WebDav, or something like that.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Holmes