You're right about the scope of the xml:lang attribute, and you're also
right to be worried about whether IPA is a script.  Having read RFC
4646, which I didn't know about (and which is very informative), I can
assure you that it isn't.

So, the correct way to tag French written in IPA is <q
xml:lang="fr-fonipa"> -- which is what we wanted to know in the first
place.  Note that this is part of the standard, not private use.  If
it's French as spoken in Canada written in IPA, then it's <q
xml:lang="fr-CA-fonipa">.

>>> On 23/10/2007 at 11:23, in message
<[log in to unmask]>, Syd Bauman