Thanks Sorin.

I am using the latest build: 2007092709, but the attributes "when" in
the "date" tag and the attribute "quantity" in the "space" tag are still
flagged as errors (see the full file listed below). Am I doing something
wrong?

<space quantity="30"/>

<date when="1862-12-08">Dec. 8th 1862</date>

Sebastian asked that I change my code for <space extent= to <space
quantity= (for P5).

Peter

[ENTIRE TEI FILE FOLLOWS]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?oxygen
RNGSchema="http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_all.rng"
type="xml"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
<teiHeader>
<fileDesc>
<titleStmt>
<title>Letter written by Rush P. Cady, lieutenant in the 97th New York
Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company K, to his grandmother of Rome, New
York, from Headquarters 97th Reg. N.Y.V. near Brooks' Station, Virginia,
December 8, 1862</title>

<author>
<persName>
</persName>
</author>

<respStmt>
<resp>Transcribed and converted to TEI-conformant markup by </resp>
<name>
<orgName>Backstage Library Works</orgName>
</name>
</respStmt>
</titleStmt>

<publicationStmt>
<date>2006</date>
<distributor>
<orgName>Hamilton College Library</orgName>
</distributor>
</publicationStmt>

<sourceDesc>

</sourceDesc>
</fileDesc>
</teiHeader>

<text>

<front>

<div1 type="Envelope">

<pb n="Front of Envelope"/>

<ref
target="http://library.hamilton.edu/collections_data/civil_war_data/all/images/cw02624001.jpg"
 >PAGE IMAGE</ref>

<persName>Mrs. <forename>Philena</forename>
<surname>Palmer</surname>
</persName>,<lb/>
<placeName>
<settlement>Rome</settlement>
</placeName>,<lb/>
<placeName>
<region>N.Y.</region>
</placeName>
<lb/> Care <persName>Mr. <forename>D.</forename>
<surname>Cady</surname>
</persName>. </p>

</div1>

</front>

<div1 type="letter">
<pb n="Page 1"/>
<ref
target="http://library.hamilton.edu/collections_data/civil_war_data/all/images/cw02624002.jpg"
 >PAGE IMAGE</ref>
<space quantity="30"/>Headquarters <orgName>
<orgTitle>97th Reg. N.Y.V.</orgTitle>
</orgName>
<lb/>
<space extent="30"/>near <placeName>
<settlement>Brooks’ Station, Va.</settlement>
</placeName>
<space extent="20"/>Having occasion to write so soon again, af-<lb/> ter
writing to
Mother, I will now write to you.- Today is Tuesday,<lb/> &amp; one of
the most
beautiful days, we have had for a long time.<lb/> It was very cold
yesterday,
&amp; last night, but now, though the ground<lb/> remains frozen &amp;
covered with snow, it is not so cold as to be<lb/> uncomfortable without
overcoats.
All last night, &amp; during<lb/> the day, troops have been moving
towards <placeName>
<settlement>Fredericksburg</settlement>
</placeName>, both<lb/> artillery &amp; Infantry,- the road, which is in
plain
sight from<lb/> our camp, being constantly full. As we have before
in-<lb/> formed
you, we have been under orders to be in readiness<lb/> to march at
several diff’t
times, within the past few days;<lb/> &amp; now, we are ordered to move
tomorrow
morning, &amp;<lb/> I have no doubt we shall do so. The distance we expect
to<lb/> go, is about 20 miles, which will occupy us about two days.<lb/>
We are now
making a few – necessary preparations for<lb/> the anticipated movement;
such as
buying provisions,- Sugar<lb/> coffee, pork, beans, rice &amp;c, at the
commissary’s.- For din-<lb/> ner today, we had boiled pork &amp; beans,
apple-sauce, &amp; boiled<lb/> rice with sugar,- a “bill of fare”, such
as no
one, especially a<pb n="Page 2"/>
<ref
target="http://library.hamilton.edu/collections_data/civil_war_data/all/images/cw02624003.jpg"
 >PAGE IMAGE</ref> Soldier, need complain of. <space extent="10"/>On
account of the
very cold<lb/> weather, of the past few days, making it very
uncomfortable<lb/>
cooking &amp; eating out of doors, as we always have, our mess,<lb/> which
contained all the officers of the <orgName>
<orgTitle>Reg. 16</orgTitle>
</orgName> in no. &amp; three<lb/> cooks, has split up into smaller ones, of
three or four<lb/> each; so that we cook &amp; eat in our tents, which is
much<lb/> more pleasant &amp; satisfactory. “Our mess”, now consists of<lb/>
<persName>Chaplain <surname>Ferguson</surname>
</persName>, <persName>Gustavus</persName>, <persName>Lieut.
<surname>Carpenter</surname>
</persName>, &amp; myself: about<lb/> as “select” a quartelle,- we flatter
ourselves, as could be<lb/> organized into a mess.- We are at present
somewhat
in-<lb/> convenienced, by the lack of certain cooking utensils, &amp;
tin-<lb/>
ware, but can get along very well, until we receive such<lb/> things as
we yesterday
sent to <placeName>
<settlement>Washington</settlement>
</placeName> for, by the Sutlers.<lb/> I sent after my valise again,
&amp; such
articles, of little bulk,<lb/> as I most need; not having a suitable
satchel to carry
my<lb/> things in, <persName>
<forename>Gustavus’</forename>
</persName> old one, which I have been using, being<lb/> nearly worn
out. We have
plenty of transportation for our<lb/> baggage, such as valise, blankets,
“mess-kits”,
tents, &amp;c.<lb/>

<space extent="10"/>Some time ago, a “General Order” was issued by<lb/>
the <orgName>
<orgTitle>War Department</orgTitle>
</orgName>, restricting the officers baggage, to what<lb/> I have
mentioned,- as a
good many had large trunks, camp-<lb/> stools &amp;c. It also limited
them to the
small shelter tents, that<lb/> the men have, instead of the large &amp;
roomy
wall tents, which<lb/> they have heretofore had. According to this
Order, but three
wall<pb n="Page 3"/>
<ref
target="http://library.hamilton.edu/collections_data/civil_war_data/all/images/cw02624004.jpg"
 >PAGE IMAGE</ref> tents were to be allowed to a Reg., for the use of
the “Field
&amp; Staff”,<lb/> (<persName>
<roleName>Col. Lieut.</roleName>
</persName>
<persName>
<roleName>Col. Major</roleName>
</persName>; <persName>
<roleName>Chaplain</roleName>
</persName>, <persName>
<roleName>Adjutant</roleName>
</persName>, <persName>
<roleName>Surgeon</roleName>
</persName>, <persName>
<roleName>Assistant Surgeons</roleName>
</persName>,<lb/>
<persName>
<roleName>Quartermaster</roleName>
</persName>, &amp;c), the Line officers,- <persName>
<roleName>Capt’s</roleName>
</persName> &amp; <persName>
<roleName>Lieuts</roleName>
</persName>, to have one<lb/> Shelter tent each; but, in our Reg. we
still retain our
wall<lb/> tents, of which we have seven. In our tent (which is
about<lb/> 10 feet
square &amp; as high, in the centre) there are four,- two <persName>
<roleName>Lieut’s</roleName>
</persName>
<lb/> besides me, &amp; <persName>Sg’t <forename>Alexander</forename>
</persName>.- <persName>
<forename>Gustavus</forename>
</persName> received a letter<lb/> from <persName>Maj.
<forename>Northup</forename>
</persName> last night. I presume he will not return<lb/> to the Reg. in
sometime,
but make is visit as long as possible,<lb/> for which he could hardly be
blamed,
having stuck to the Reg.<lb/> so faithfully, through all its hard fought
battles,
&amp; hard-<lb/> ships;- &amp; there being now two Field officers left, in
com-<lb/> mand,- which, with so few men, is quite enough.<lb/>

<space extent="10"/>The “call” has just sounded, for Dress Parade, &amp;
I must
go<lb/> out, for few minutes.- I have just returned. It is growing
colder.<lb/> We
must have a good pile of wood chopped, for tonight. <persName>
<forename>Gus- tavus</forename>
</persName>
<lb/> &amp; the <persName>
<roleName>Chaplain</roleName>
</persName> have just gone to take a ride.- Of the boys in<lb/> our Co.
whom you
know, <persName>
<surname>Douglass</surname>
</persName>, <persName>
<surname>Frisbie</surname>
</persName>, &amp; <persName>
<surname>Steadman</surname>
</persName>, still<lb/> remain, &amp; are well, though the last
mentioned is a
most shift-<lb/> less &amp; slovenly specimen of humanity. <persName>
<surname>Briggs</surname>
</persName>, <persName>
<surname>Wright</surname>
</persName>, <persName>
<surname>Fitz- gerald</surname>
</persName>
<lb/> &amp; others – absent in the Hospitals, have not been heard<lb/> from
lately.- <space extent="10"/>
<persName>
<surname>Alexander</surname>
</persName> wants a pair of black leather gloves,<lb/> (lined), a pocket
handkerchief, &amp; a flannel nightcap, to sleep in.<lb/> You might send
<persName>
<forename>Ella</forename>
</persName> up to his house, to tell his wife, to get<pb n="Page 4"/>
<ref
target="http://library.hamilton.edu/collections_data/civil_war_data/all/images/cw02624005.jpg"
 >PAGE IMAGE</ref> them so as to send them in our package. In
addition,<lb/> to
what I have already sent for, I want a night cap,<lb/> to sleep in these
cold nights
(perhaps made of heavy blue flan-<lb/> nel); &amp; also a black felt
hat, worth
about $3, or<lb/> $3.50. <persName>Mr. <surname>Kinney</surname>
</persName> knows my size – about 6 x 7/8. You<lb/> might also enclose
1# Saleratus,
a paper of black pepper,<lb/> &amp; a pepper-box. Let there be a list of
all the
articles in<lb/> the box, with the prices attached, so that I may
know<lb/> how to
charge them.- Love to Mother, Father, &amp; all<lb/> the children, &amp;
present my kind regards to <persName>
<forename>Louise</forename>
<surname>S.</surname>
</persName>
<lb/> &amp; <persName>
<forename>Gussie</forename>
<surname>P</surname>
</persName>,- also <persName>
<surname>Collins</surname>
</persName>, <persName>
<surname>Smith</surname>
</persName>, &amp;c. Hoping to hear<lb/> from home again soon, &amp;
that you
will all<lb/> remain well, I will close.<lb/>
<space extent="30"/>Affectionately your grandson,<lb/>
<space extent="40"/>
<persName>
<forename>Rush P.</forename>
<surname>Cady</surname>