Jon Noring <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm curious to know how TEI markup people handle "theme breaks" or
>"scene breaks" in ordinary prose? I've looked around in the TEI
>documentation but did not yet find any mention.

The sections of text on delineated by the breaks seem like <div>s to me.
That is to say, from one break to the next constitutes a <div>.  This may or
may not be an appropriate solution for any given vision of the structural
aspects of a text, and such structural analysis may or may not be
appropriate for any given project.

As for the break itself, if and how it is marked, outside of the fact that
one <div> ends and another begins, probably depends on whether the project
is more concerned with semantic content, physical structure, or what.  If it
doesn't care about incidental physical aspects of a text, marking the
structure using <div>s is all of the semantic content you need, assuming
that the ornamentation does not convey anything other than "there is a break
here."  If the project is more interested in marking up the physical object,
or if there is an image that conveys some further meaning, the relevant
element can appear between the <div>s.  I can't recall what the tag for
"this space intentionally left blank" is, but for any sort of image it would
be <figure>.

I hope that helps.

In service,
M. Alan Thomas II