Hi all,

First, apologies for my last message in which the first paragraph was garbled and unclear due to rapid typing.  I sent this correction through last night, but it appears that if the listserve is in CC: it does not go through.

My problem is simple:  it seems that gloss does not allow for type attributes (unless I am mistaken).

But we need to code both definitions of terms and  translations of examples in a corpus of linguistic texts.  Martin suggested that I use gloss for the latter, citing the definition of <gloss> given in the guidelines:

<gloss> identifies a phrase or word used to provide a gloss or definition for some other word or phrase.

Has any thought been given to dissociating these two cases covered by the tag?

Best wishes,

   Steve Shimanek