**Note: Survey ends October 31st**

Dear TEI Project Managers,

I am a graduate student studying Library Science at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and am conducting a study on the perceptions of those using the Text Encoding Initiative standard in their digital projects. This e-mail serves as both an introduction into the purpose of my study and as a consent form for participating in this study (UNC-CH IRB #07-1399). My study will analyze how project managers for projects implementing the TEI standard view the feasibility of completing projects, their academic and financial benefits, and the satisfaction of users with the materials produced by the project. This will demonstrate how digitization projects involving the TEI standard are or are not feasible for library or other institutions.

I request that you please take 10 to 15 minutes to fill out my survey. The survey contains questions about the parameters of your project(s) and your perceptions on the relative success of your project. A link at the bottom of this e-mail will take you directly to the online survey. By going to the survey, you are consenting to participate in this study. You will be asked to either type in or select your answers, which will reflect your relative opinion related to the question asked.

Participation is voluntary. No information related to you or your parent institution is either asked or retained. For example, no personal data is collected in the survey and all participants remain anonymous. There are no costs to taking this survey other than your time. Results of the study will demonstrate to others in the field how using the TEI standard may or may not benefit institutions that pay for digitization projects.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me, James G. Dickie, the primary investigator, or my faculty advisor, Kathy Wisser, with the addresses below. Your participation will be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for contributing your time to this study.

Click here to go to the survey.

Sincerely,

James G. Dickie MSLS Graduate Student, 2008 UNC Chapel Hill School of Information and Library Science CB: #3360 [log in to unmask]

Katherine M. Wisser NC ECHO Metadata Coordinator 132 Davis Library Campus Box 3918 Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3918 Ph: 919-843-1178 Fax: 919-962-8071 email: [log in to unmask]