> For the vowels, it's tempting to use a diacritic for all
> front vowels:
>
> :  Front: ï ë ä ö ü
> :  Back:  ı e a o u
>
> But then one of the most common vowels would be ï and
> there'd be dots everywhere. Well, more dots than i's
> normally have.... At the very least I'll likely be adding
> an /ä/ vowel; /ö/ and /ü/ are possible but marginal
> additions. In any case, with all these marks over both the
> vowels and consonants, it might look better to just use
> digraphs for the extra consonants.
>
> Another possibility which might look nicer is to use dots
> under the letters for back vowels.
>
> :  Front: i e a
> :  Back:  ị ẹ ạ o u
>
> I'd be most inclined to use
>
> :  Front: i e ä ö ü
> :  Back:  y ė a o u

You can use the first variant, just replace ï with i and ı with y.
:  Front: i ë ä ö ü
:  Back:  y e a o u

I like this variant, it's nice and systematic. I think the single dots are
awful. Not only they are too small but when there are underdots the letter
is rendered visibly lower (that's just how it looks here).