Geoff Horswood wrote:

>I was attempting to translate one of my 2-year-old's
>children's books into Franj, and ran into a bit of a
>problem:
>Animal noises....
>Anyone want to shate their animal noises in nat- or
>conlangs?

This will not help much, since my planet Cindu doesn't have Terran fauna--
in fact, not much fauna at all, so far :-(

However, in Kash:
ñar 'to roar' [Jar]
kruñ ~kukruñ 'to growl' [kruN, 'kukruN]
cak 'generic for the "barking" noises made by various lizards; cik, cek more
high-pitched, cuk, cok more low-pitched' [tS(a,i,E,u~U,o)k] or with final
[?]
ñaw(u,o)ñ ~ñuñ 'equiv. of "meow", sound made by the smallest cat-like
species' [JawN, JuN]
eñe 'bleating sound made by the lopa (sheep/goat analog)' ['eJe] -- also
applied to whiny or wheedling speech of humans
rondoñ 'low-pitched "purring" sound made by some animals and mechanical
devices' ['rondoN]
muru-muru 'purring sound, spec. made by some cat-like species' ['muru]

There is a cow-like food animal (the kawu [kaw]) whose sound will probably
turn out to be something like "um" [u::m:] or maybe "awum" [awm:]

Pesky flying insects probably go "ñi" [Ji::]

Since there are also small simian-like animals (ult. related to the Gwr),
there will be a term for their chattering (?ci [tSi]) then impolitely
applied to the sound of Gwr speech.........Conversely, the Gwr term for Kash
speech will probably be something like "grumble-grumble" gr-mr-gr-mr
[g3r\-m3r\]