Je 08:19 ptm 10/14/2007, Dana NUTTER skribis:
> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donald J. HARLOW
>
> > Je 08:27 atm 10/13/2007, Dave MacLEOD skribis:
> >
> > >But the thing is that a worldlang is your ideal, not the ideal of many
> > >others. Don Harlow has pointed out many times that Chinese
> > >Esperantists aren't particularly concerned about the European
> > >vocabulary.
> >
> > This is true, but I think I've been more general than that. Chinese
> > who have some reason to learn a foreign language -- not just Chinese
> > Esperantists, and not just Chinese, for that matter -- aren't
> > particularly concerned about where the vocabulary came from. They
> > *might* favor a Chinese-source vocabulary over any other, but short
> > of that they really couldn't care whether they're learning the
> > vocabulary of Interlingua or the vocabulary of Neo Patwa. Almost
> > invariably, their reasons for starting to learn a language have
> > nothing to do with the vocabulary or its source. And I would be
> > willing to bet that those who are particularly interested in the
> > vocabulary, as opposed to those who are interested in adding a few
> > yuan to their monthly paycheck for knowing a foreign language, will
> > drop out of the learning process a lot sooner.
>
>A lot of this is a matter of motivation.

A point I believe has been made in this list several times before.

>If someone is learning
>another language just so they can check it off their list and obtain
>the college credits needs to obtain a degree, then yes an easier
>language has a lot to offer though at this point it's a disposable
>language because the student isn't really intending on using it
>later.  On the other hand, if a student is planning on a career that
>will involve lots of international travel and relocation, then
>knowledge of a natural language is a must.  For most generic
>purposes, English will work do for the traveler and businessman
>however it would be difficult to live anywhere without knowing the
>local language.

All true enough. Where do any of the "worldlangs" recently mentioned
in this list fall into a collection of languages which one will be
motivated to learn, then?

> > >I also wouldn't care if an auxlang made out of purely
> > >Sinitic vocabulary were to become the world's auxlang.
> > Actually, I believe that I expressed exactly this same sentiment
> > (using the same example) some years ago.
>
>Should we all learn Jigwa?

What do you think your chances are of convincing the world's
population, or even a negligible fraction (let's say .03%), to learn
it? If they are good, I would say ... go for it!

My own feeling, of course, is that they are *not* good.

-- Don HARLOW