> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Chandler
> Dana skribis:
>
> >The situation in Hawaii is what I see as the future
> of Englishworldwide. There is definitely a system to
> Hawaiian Pidgin, but the"language" itself isn't really
> a single language, but more of acontinuum of idiolects
> that range from Standard English to the localcreole.
>
> I find this an interesting statement, so much so that
> I went to the Wikipedia article on Hawaiian Pidgin.
> As usual with these sorts of claims about a "world
> pidgin/creole" being in the process of emerging, I
> have to ask the question: where is this happening?
>
> If you see the future of English worldwide as being
> like Hawaii, then where is the incipient
> jargon/pidgin/creole starting to emerge?  When were
> you last in an airport lounge, or an international
> rail hub, or an international conference, and heard
> phrases like "You like one knife?" or "You no can do
> dat!" and thought "ah, that's World Pidgin English
> they're talking!" (ok, it's more likely to be "You
> like one latte?", but even that I have not heard
> anywhere).

Actually, I've heard quite a lot of speech like you give in your
examples, though I don't drink latte.  Anyway, if you'll read my
statement, it a prediction, not a statement about what exists today
except in small independent pockets which ultimately will expand and
merge into a bigger group as time goes on and English expands it's
user base.  We already have Chinglish, Singlish, Hinglish, etc.  but
they too will start finding common linguistic ground as time goes on
and they have more contact with each other.

> It's not impossible, but it needs evidence.  It is
> what philosphers call a contingent statement.  I can
> imagine a possible world in which a global pidgin form
> of English was emerging, but it just doesn't seem to
> be happening.  It is verifiable, but as far as anyone
> can know or report, it is not happening.

Well, I'm not sure where you live, but I've spent the majority of my
life around L2 English speakers of various nationalities.  It's only
been in recent years that I haven't been around many L2 speakers,
though that situation is starting to change as the demographics of
this area are starting to change.

> The linguistic situation in Hawaii is interesting, nonetheless..

Well, as far as Hawaii goes, I've seen and heard the language first
hand, having been there a few times and having associated with my
fair share of people from Hawaii.   It's really just a "simplified"
English that's used.  The things that can be noticed right away are
the loss of verbal tenses, and for some reason they tend to drop
prepositions ("You want go Hawaii").  Those are the extreme examples
though, and some speak a more "proper" English and the bulk speak
something in between.