> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens Wilkinson

> > So, the public reading this list are turned off on
> > the whole concept. Of course, it is not just this
> > list, but the same type of confusion promolgated on
> > the public by other other groups too. It
> > just snowballs into a very negative affect on the
> > public. But, to the language hobbyist he/she
> > is only having fun.
>
> Do you really think that people are turned off from
> the concept of IALs because there is no consensus? I
> don't know if anyone has ever done any market research
> among the public on their perceptions of the idea of
> an IAL, but if it has been done, I'd be happy to see
> the results. My own perception is this: most people
> think that IALs are unnecessary, so the confusion is
> not really an issue. Some people may be turned off
> because there is no consensus. And I think also,
> people may be turned off because IAL promoters sound
> like zealots, like they have some magic pill that will
> save the world. And to be honest, a lot of people are
> turned off by people who tell them that they have the
> "solution".

My perception is more that there is just a lack of awareness.  The
masses just don't know such a thing exists, and if they do it's
usually that they've heard of Esperanto, though they may or may not
really have an understanding of what it's about except that it's a
"fake" language.  Then there are the few that do know, and maybe
even like the concept, but it's just not a priority for them when
considering all of the other things they have to do in their lives.
The only way to get any language to move up in priority is to make
it something they truly *need*, not just a linguistic curiosity.
That can only happen by getting a momemtum going where large numbers
are learning it and new students are coming along every day.
Unfortunately there's that catch-22 situation again.  You need users
to attract users.

> But I would really take exception to your comments
> about hobbying. I also see this as something different
> than a hobby. But on the other hand, if we act as if
> we have the solution and nobody has the right to even
> experiment, we will end up sounding arrogant and
> people will come to see us like Nazis who try to crush
> anyone not following the proper line. OK, it's sort of
> an image thing, but I think that one has to be
> careful.

Actually without the hobby liguists, things would be worse for the
whole movement.  The hobbyists are the early adopters that get these
things off the ground.  I don't think there can be too many
languages.  Each language has its own atraction, and generates
interest in IAL's that maybe the others didn't.  On the minute
chance that one of these languages should become popular, or even
rise up to become a world language, then let's just leave it to
natural selection to decide which one.