MacLeod Dave skrev:
> 2007/10/22, Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> On 10/21/07, MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> How about no stress at all?
>>>

>> Is it really possible for a language not to have stress in practice?
>>
>> I have even heard once that Japanese does not have stress (BTW, I do
>> not know if this information is correct), but to my biased ears it
>> does. I always realize stress in certain syllables when I watch an
>> anime or a Japanese video in the Web.
>>
>> Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues
>>

> Yeah, as Jens said there's a difference between some words like HAshi
> and haSHI but for 99% of the words in Japanese there's no stress,
> which is why you hear Japanese people pronounce banana like BaNaNa
> (equal stress on every syllable) whereas in English it's more like
> b'nana. With an auxlang with European words and no stress then, words
> like kilometro would be ki-lo-me-tro (like the English pronunciation
> instead of the Spanish) and societa' would be so-ci-e-ta, so something
> that sounds more like "so sieta". I don't know the correct linguistic
> terms for all these so I'm not sure if I've explained it well enough.

Whatever people write about stress in our favorite auxilanguage people
will discard it if it is an obstacle to them in using the language if
they have to. The other alternative might be to skip it and chose
another language or even stick to English. By the way, look what people
do to English when they cannot get the rules right...

Kjell R