 On  Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:58:22 -0700, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I think Bruce, that if strict POS marking is so high
> up your list, then you really need to drop the
> troublesome -tione suffix, which is the only reason
> why Novial needs the four verb endings after all.

I do not see the connection between strict POS marking and -ione. In fact,
it is true that -ione (and -ivi, which works the same way) causes a bit of
irregularity, because the -e verbs DROP the -e, while all others ADD -t
before adding -ione/-ivi. But this would be so whether you have strict POS
marking or not.

Rather, my problems are that there are two category of noun: those like
"rege" (which refer to animates), where replacing -e by -a makes it feminine
and replacing by -o makes it masculine, and those like "adrese" (which refer
to other than animates), where the same replacements do something quite
different: -a makes it a verb, -o an abstract noun. In the first group,
there is a special suffix -ir- which solely provides for a way of making
them behave like the second class. I cannot see what "-ione" has to do with
this problem, and in fact it helps SOLVE the problem, because the second
(abstract noun making) use of -o can be eliminated if you consistently use
-ione.

Indeed, if you want to take the language a little in
> the Ido direction, ditching this suffix should be a
> natural move.

I cannot understand this statement at all. Perhaps you can elaborate.

--

                                                                     Bruce
R. Gilson