It has been said here, that a useful criteria for an IAL might be: > 4. If you do not know a word and do not know its > morphemes, can you tell if it is an adjective, a > noun, or a verb? Can you tell if it is a compound > word?" Do most people in the world even know what an adjective, noun and " verb are? These are terms used primarily from our model of " language. Some languages do not have a class of "adjectives" as " such, but instead use stative verbs or genitive noun constructions. I do not agree with the latter point.  One of the major items of unity in the world language picture is that the Indo-European Language group is so vast.  And the features mentioned are still common in that group.  Moreover, I have seen no evidence that these "parts-of speech" present any problem at all to Chinese learners.  Semiticis IMO not all that removed either, nor IMO Indonesian or others. So I see no reason to fear identifying "nouns," "verbs," "prepositions/postpositions"
and even "adjectives," though the latter might be fused with adverbs.  If people do not know the grammatical term, that is trivial. Even two-year olds can have the feel for such things.That is what is important.I do, however, agree with the comment below.Regards, Leo J. MoserSent via:[log in to unmask] On Thu 10/25, Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues < [log in to unmask] > wrote:From: Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:06:16 +0100Subject: Re: Criteria for an IAL and why we divideOn 10/25/07, auliuniv wrote:> The chances of you ;finding the solution is zero based on the past 150 years of the same> kind of experimenting.>That is the classical fallacy of false induction: "If during a longperiod of time people haven't had success in achieving a certainobjective, then it is forever impossible to successfully achieve thatobjective."I'm glad that some people didn't think that way,
otherwise we wouldn'thave the airplane.Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com