On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:18:26 -0700, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think here you may have hit the nail on the head:
>strict POS marking is a feature of schematic IALs.
>Novial is not really a schematic IAL, it is an
>intermediate system.  Therefore Novial places a higher
>priority on outputting the correct deverbal
>derivatives, than it does on strictly marking POS.  It
>seems to me that you may be barking up the wrong tree
>with Novial, Bruce, if strict POS marking is so far up
>your list.  I think you would be better off with Ido.
>I actually do.

Let's take up one thing that you say there: "Novial is not really a schematic IAL, it is an intermediate system." Exactly. Which means that somewhere along the schematic/naturalistic continuum is where you will find Novial. It has SOME feaures of schematic IALs and other features of naturalistic ones. Where I differ with you is that I give a high importance to POS markings; and it really surprised me that you, previously an Ido advocate, wanted to avoid one of the things that I thing was one of Ido's strengths. You say, "I think you would be better off with Ido. I actually do." What I actually want to see is something which is somewhere on the continuum between Ido and Interlingua, both of which I see as having certain strengths, and the language which comes closest to the point on the continuum I favor is Novial. But this does not mean that I consider Novial optimal, only that it is the best of all the IALs I've seen. Moving Novial closer to Ido, rather than going all the way to Ido, is what I want.

And in fact, in some ways Novial is actually MORE regular (by which I mean "consistent in its use of endings") than Ido. I like Novial's third-person pronouns better than Ido's, for example. The use of -o/-a/-e for masculine/feminine/epicene is better than either the Esperanto/Ido use of -in (and, in Ido, -ul) and carried to consistency in the use of lo/la/le, as well as all other pronominals like to/ta/te, etc. Actually, in this area, Novial is more schematic than Ido!

I do not intend to condemn Ido. But if I were to base a new IAL proposial on Ido, there are things which I would want to change, just as I have wanted to make changes in Novial. What, I suppose, some people would advocate for me is to start from scratch. I actually attempted to do that, many years before the Internet would have made it easier, and called it Novulinge. But it is easier to take a language that has already been created and tweak it.  This is what I tried to do in N97/N98.