Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.5 - AUXLANG Archives

2007/10/30, Donald J. HARLOW <[log in to unmask]>:

> [Commentary by G. Waringhien: The matter did not long remain in the
> favorable confidential atmosphere. Because Couturat -- whether by
> oversight or intentionally -- despite the promised secrecy that both
> parties were supposed to guard during the discussions, as early as
> October 26 had sent a copy of the Ido grammar to Corret, who was not
> a member of the Language Committee and consequently did not consider
> himself tied down to any kind of silence. He immediately informed
> Bourlet (who, as a member of the Language Committee, would receive
> that document only on November 2!), and Bourlet in his turn sent up
> the alarm in the Esperantist camp, which swarmed like an offended beehive.
>
> On October 30, 1907, Boirac replied to Ostwald. The essence of his
> reply can be taken from his]
>
> REPORT TO THE LANGUAGE COMMITTEE (August, 1908)
>
> I replied to this letter, officially noting the preference given in
> principle to Esperanto by the Delegation Committee, protesting in
> advance about the right that the Permanent Commission seemed to be
> adjudging to itself to bring about in Esperanto under its own
> authority the changes that it thought necessary; pointing out that
> the study could not be as fast as one might wish, because of material
> hindrances, and because this important question would demand mature study.
>
> [Boirac's entire report can be read at
> http://donh.best.vwh.net/Esperanto/Historio/raporto.LK.1908.html . -DH]
>

> -- Don HARLOW
> http://www.webcom.com/~donh/don/don.html
> Opinions (in English): http://www.harlows.org/don/opinions/
> Esperanto (in English): http://www.harlows.org/don/esperanto/
> Literaturo (Esperante): http://donh.best.vwh.net/Esperanto/Literaturo

It must have been exciting back then when they all thought the languages
were going somewhere. I wonder what their approach would have been like if
they knew it was going to result in two world wars and then one century
later one with a few hundred thousand, two with a thousand or so each, and
the rest forgotten and ignored along with the movement as a whole.

--
http://wiki.galbijim.com