> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Risto Kupsala

> Which would be the most suitable way to compile the  vocabulary
for the
> future world language?
> a) Take all from Latin.
> b) Take all from the most widely spoken West European languages.
> c) Take the words evenly from all widely spoken languages
> around the world
>
> In my opinion only one of them makes sense.

Another is "Take all the words from English" which is already the
preferred auxlang of millions.  These days people are more likely to
have familiarity with English than Latin.  A hundred years ago the
Latin argument was probably a better one.

I'm sure you are referring to C being the best.  I agree with the
worldly approach but the word "evenly" bothers me.  It's not
realistic nor possible to keep an even load.  Yes, you can try but
we still should acknowledge that some languages are more popular
than others.  While some languages aren't as popular, they are
representative of a much larger family of languages which do have a
lot in common.  I also see where there is some value to giving the
most popular languages a higher preference.  I can easily see a good
reason for having more English vocabulary than Russian because
English is far more popular, and there is a bigger ripple effect
because there are a lot of Latinate words that will be recognizable
to speakers of other languages.  Likewise for Arabic where a lot of
the vocabulary is found in Turkic or Indo-Aryan languages; or
Chinese with its influence on completely unrelated languages like
Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese.

I've toyed with lots of diffent ideas, both for grammar and for
vocabulary.  I've even condidered basing the vocabulary on a PIE
model due to the fact that about 40% of the population are L1
speakers of some IE language.  The problem there was that PIE roots
have little resemblence to modern languages, and have taken off in
too many direction semantically to be useful so an a priori system
would be just as well off.  Other ideas were ones that had already
been done to some extent or another by someone else, like
Latin-based vocabulary, Greco-Latin (like Glosa), reformed
Esperanto, but none of them scale well to become a world language
without giving a large amount of favoritism to the West, thus
defeating the grand purpose of a "neutral" language that everyone
can benefit from equally.  That's what lead to creating vocabulary
from modern languages.

To alter your list a bit.

	A. (modified) take from a single language: Latin, English,
etc.

	D.  An a priori vocabulary.  IE: Create the semantics, then
randomly assign labels to them which nobody has any preconceptions
about, at least theoretically.

	E.  Create composite words based upon a mix of popular
languages.  There are several ways to do this, such as with Lojban,
though there is little recognizability.  I can see where a less
systematic method could be used to maintain better mnemonics.  FWIW:
I have intentionally done this with a few words in Sasxsek, and in
some cases chosen words because they have some similarity to other
unrelated languages, often coincidentally.