> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Risto Kupsala
> Steve Rice wrote in "Re: Why cross-linguistic world auxiliary
> language?":
>  > 2. What about the incremental approach? A simpler
>  > grammar might prove helpful, especially if the
>  > language is designed to add non-Western roots later.
>  > But start with Western roots, which will give you the
>  > initial traction of the traditional method, and adopt
>  > non-Western roots as the language spreads. That is
>  > both different and rational. Starting out as though
>  > you were a century in the future is not.
>
> There's some idea in it, though at first I thought that it
wouldn't
> work, because replacing initial words with non-Western words in
later
> stages would back-stab the early adopters and they wouldn't
> just swallow
> it. But you talked about *adding*, not about *replacing*.
> That's why a
> new language is needed for this endeavour. Tweaking Esperanto or
> complementing Toki Pona would almost certainly arouse a severe
> counter-reaction from their current followers. Do I follow
> your train of
> thought correctly?
>
> Let's try to be constructive, Dana, Jens and others. Steve has
come
> halfway to meet us, the worldlangers. He proposes starting with a
> Euroclone and finishing with a worldlang.

Not a workable solution for the reasons you mention.  Once a
language is established, you can't just erase all that hard work and
start over.  It would take generations just to get the first on
going, if you can get it going at all.  Like I mentioned before, any
planned auxlang is going to have to compete with English.  English
already has a *huge* head start, whereas nobody even knows the
others are in the race.  I only create languages for my own benefit,
and have no delusions about any of them becoming anything more than
an intellectual exercise that gives me a hobby that I can pursue
without spending a bunch of money.

Instead of worrying about specifics of design, why not find ways to
attract users?  So far the existing methods aren't working too well.
Does anyone have a list of conlangs with ten or more speakers?