 On  Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:37:37 -0700,  "Donald J. HARLOW" <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[...]
> Je 07:10 atm 10/30/2007, Bruce GILSON skribis:
> >
> >The expanded version will also have some words added which Jespersen
> >could not have put in in 1930 (things like "televisione" which are
> >obviously easy to construct, but which refer to things that didn't
> >exist in 1930!)
>
> Actually, the first television was demonstrated in 1884
> (electromechanical rather than strictly electronic), and the word
> itself dates from 28 years before Novial (1900). I remember reading
> somewhere that the first American government official to appear in a
> TV transmission (not broadcast) was Secretary of Commerce ... Herbert
> Hoover. The world's first color TV transmission was more or less
> simultaneous with the publication of Novial (1928).

While I wasn't aware that color had been tried that early, even that fails
to make it any less true that "television" was hardly a word that was
familiar to most people in 1930, when NL was produced. (Of course, the NL
contains a number of rather exotic words. The English words "smallage,"
"agio," and "roads" were not in my vocabulary when I first saw them in NL,
though someone mentioned back in 1997 when I brought it up on the Novial
revision committee that "roads:" was a naval term, which explained "Hampton
Roads" as a proper name to me. I still have never had any occasion to use
either of the other two terms.)

>or didn't think to put in (like some of the chemical elements; he
> >put in some, but not all).
>
> On the other hand, there are a number of chemical elements extant
> today -- I presume you will include them -- which were unknown, or at
> least had different names, in Jespersen's time, including a couple
> that are not transuranics (e.g. promethium).

Of course. Chemistry is the field I specialized in when I was in school, so
I am quite aware of such things.

--

                                                                     Bruce
R. Gilson