 On  Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:34:17 -0700, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

Bruce skripted:

> >What I was asking, and you still haven't answered, is
> whether, in your advice to me to either go to Ido or
> start my own language, you are trying to close off the
> one solution that I see as the best one
>
> I'm not trying to close off any solution for you,
> Bruce.  I think you have to recognize that in IAL
> design there will always be trade-offs, things that
> don't work well together, some choices to be made.

Choices to be made, of course. If there were no choices to be made, we would
all have been able to agree on ONE auxlang long ago. I'm not sure there are
as many "trade-offs" as you imply; very often solving one problem, rather
than creating new ones, actually solves others. I felt this was so with the
-r: not only did it clearly mark verbs, but it eliminated the need for the
-ir- suffix in N20/30.

>to start a language that uses the best ideas from
> existing ones, which in my mind means most of the
> ideas come from Novial because Novial is in my mind
> the best of the existing ones.
>
> It sounds a lot like a Novial reform.  As I say, if
> you take AIL + NL as the starting point, I would say
> that is a Novial reform.  If it walks like a duck, and
> quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.

I was willing to consider it a Novial reform in 1998. Others thought it was
too far removed. But then do you accept tat there are not just the two
alternatives you listed (go with Ido or start my own language)? There is at
least one more: start with an existing language and reform it so it better
meets my ideals? For this is what I planned to do and still think is the
best choice.

>The reason I did not mention that is that I was
> specifically listing those features of "my new
> language" that WERE in Novial.
>
> OK, so do you have a POS marker in mind for verbs?  Or
> is this something that would be decided later on?

You know the answer to this one; why did you bother to ask it. I introduced
a POS marker for verbs in 1997 in the Novial reform I was working on at the
time, namely -r. I think that if I came out with a new Novialide, that part
would be unchanged from what we did in 1997. (There are a few things I might
do differently; this is not one of them.)

>IIRC it was -ri
>
> -CV seems to be an unusual shape for POS markers.
> Generally they are -V.

When I did Novulinge, I was less familiar with what is "generally" done.
OTOH, just because they are -V doesn't mean they have to be. Ido uses -r for
verb infinitives.

>You seem to be trying to be unwilling to let me "do
> what [I] think best"
>
> I'm not here to stop you doing anything.  I'm merely
> giving my opinion, which is all I can do.  I'm not
> sure why you seem to see me as such an obstacle to
> your plans.

Frankly, I do not see you as an obstacle to my plans, because I don't see
you as having the power to stop me from what I do. But you seem to have
taken a position that (and I quote) "in your position you have two realistic
make is that unless "starting my own" includes making significant but not
unrecognizable changes to an existing language, you seem to be excluding
what for me is the best alternative.

--

                                                                     Bruce
R. Gilson