> I also have serious doubts about a culturally isolated language
> growing to any large proportions without losing the features that
> make it "easy" to learn and use.  How long before Interlingua starts
> inheriting local idioms and slang from other European languages?

Here's the one thing you wrote in there was on topic (since the
topic's not about Interlingua). It would depend on the philosophy of
the language. Naturalistic languages could have a Fundamento as well.
ia doesn't have that because of the philosophy of the people that
created it but it could have been easy enough to create a philosophy
behind the language geared towards ease of learning and stability.
Slovio's an example of that I suppose. Based on a smaller group of
source languages but still quite systematic. Languages based on a
small number of source languages also often promote themselves as "an
easy way to communicate with anybody that speaks language family x".
They don't work as hard on that point as they should though.

--
http://wiki.galbijim.com