Sellamat !
Excuse me, lot of sorrows: I fear there was something wrong with the
connexion to the list, or with my own inbox, which no more sends me an alert
when I receive a new e-mail.
And my exams are gonna start next week at Strasbourg, so I've got very little
time for my hobbies like auxlangs... and my vocational school will experiment
on us the new system of examination, so it's as if I were sailing on the
Titanic.... You all will see if I survive the shipwreck...
I had planned another article (after "li caracter lituanian de esperanto") on
possible improvements of occidental but, for the moment, I don't have much
time to consecrate to it (Bob may mean that Occidental does NOT need
improvements! :-)).
A propos, Bob, I wanted to make some corrections on the page "basic
vocabular os sambahsa-mundialect": Is it normal that the changes do not
immediately appear after my intervention or can the article not be modified by
its author?
As I focus my time on the improvement of the vocabulary of sambahsa-
mundialect (for I do my best not to take loanwords randomly from any
language on earth, but to select them), I don't have time to write articles in
this auxlang (though an english simplified grammar on "auxlang.org" should be a
good idea, especially since my article on sambahsa-mundialect on the english
wikipedia awaits deletion!), and when I make translations in it, I prefer to
choose texts that can show the variety of its vocabulary (I even translated
some parts of gamebooks!). I could surely translate any scientifical text into
sambahsa, but as this kind of vocabulary generally comes from greco-latin
roots, it would not be very representative of the language (it would be a little
like putting an Occidental and an English scientifical text side by side).
Of course, when Risto showed us the funny maps, this was only an illustrative
purpose, he did not intend we should "stick" completely to those maps which
have no direct relation with the linguistic situation of the world.
I repeat my position: the best in my view is simply to look after widespread
isoglosses or loanwords. And for Chinese, I would recall that Mandarin (and
other languages of China) uses "pitches", which signifies that a single syllable
can have up to 4 different meanings. So, except if we have an auxlang which
work with pitch accents, a Chinese may even be unable to recognize Chinese
loanwords within the auxlang.
To illustrate all what I've said above, here is a small sambahsa translation of
one of the boring texts I have to work on everyday. Of course, I need not
provide the translation of words from Romance, as everybody does understand
Occidental....
"Meis khiter, wakyet od el legislator edict un pior imprecis texte. Tod gwayt
eet contrar ibs constitutional naudhs, kam id technique kalen id "firscharticle",
id est id article quod incriminet vasya akhlaks non-zielt alyer..."
Meis: IE "more": spanish "ms", latin "magis", gothic "mis"...
khiter: an aryan root meaning "evil"
wakye: "to happen" (Arabic, persian, urdu...)
pior: danish and slavic: "too much"
gwayt: IE; cf. english "gait"; from "gwah" (to go) corresponds to the french
meaning "dmarche".
naudh: IE; english "need"; russian "nada"; means exactly "to require"
kam: arabic "how"; means in sambahsa "as, like" too and nearly sounds like
French "comme".
kal: English "to call" (and scandinavian); Old Greek "kalein"....
firscha: means "broom" in arabic and turkish
vasya: "all the, every"; cf. sanskrit "vivaya", russian "vesj", latin "varia",
swedish "varye"...
akhlak: "behaviour" in persian and indonesian, from arabic
ziel: german word found in slavic "celj" (and Esperanto!) and French (cible).
alyer: "elsewhere": IE root "alyo" + sambahsa locative ending "-er" (from
germanic", sounds nearly like french "ailleurs".....
So, its IE roots do not keep Sambahsa-mundialect from being really a cross-
linguistic world auxlang (not a patchwork of words taken at random from any
language....).

Olivier from Lorraine
http://sambahsa-mundialect-org.blogspot.com