--- MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
> MacLeod Dave
> >
> > > Nope. I'm a Euroclone supporter but I'd also
> learn a Turkic,
> > Sinitic
> > > or any other well-designed regional auxlang.
> >
> > I have no problem with any of them as *regional*
> auxlangs.  On a
> > worldwide level, they are all biased and therefore
> make no more
> > sense than sticking with English or another
> natural language.
> >
> The regional auxlang strategy is just that, a
> strategy. Appeal to a
> certain region first, then to the world next. If all
> of Europe were to
> learn Ia, for example, you can bet there would be
> other countries
> following along.

This is the weakness of the worldlang approach:
without a specific base, it about has to take the
entire planet by storm or fail. A regional auxlang,
even if the region is as ambiguous as "the West," has
a natural base. Once the auxlang has maximized its
voluntary user base there, it can extend beyond its
original area, adding new vocabulary as necessary to
appeal to its next base. It's like building wealth
through careful investment over time rather than
through a get-rich-quick scheme.

Steve