Risto Kupsala wrote, Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:15:07 +0200

> Which would be the most suitable way to compile the vocabulary for the
> future world language?

> a) Take all from Latin.
> b) Take all from the most widely spoken West European languages.
> c) Take the words evenly from all widely spoken languages around the world

> In my opinion only one of them makes sense.

These are not the only alternatives by any means, and Dana gave quite a good reply IMHO.

But in any case I think the answer depends on how the IAL is going to be promoted.

I agree that (c) is the ultimate answer - natural justice would demand it, in fact a pro rata
allocation even including minority ethnic tongues would be better. But could such a language
be arrived at immediately, or might it require an indirect approach?

If there was a major event that required global action, I think it might be possible to
introduce a Level 2 language right away as part of a new international settlement, even as
the League of Nations and the U.N. emerged from WWs I & II respectively.

Such an occurrence might allow, IMHO, a fairly sophisticated language including more than a
minimum number of phonemes - and therefore a more international spread of vocabulary. It
might allow this because the new international settlement should include a provision for the
IAL to be taught in schools. The “international” and “neutral” IAL - an improved version of
Esperanto, perhaps - would be very much part and parcel of a process of international
reconciliation and awareness.

My own attempt, LangX, is predicated on the principle of no major consciousness-raising
incidents in the short term. (If they do occur, and the situation radically changes, one
obviously reconsiders.) Anyway, if things drift on as at present, only gradually getting worse
(or better, if one happens to be an optimist) the chance of a radical change of mind from
TPTB re the IAL issue might seem fairly remote: and likewise a new international settlement
with the IAL being taught in schools (even though the latter makes sense on all but the most
short-sighted economic grounds).

However, if organised teaching to children worldwide is ruled out, there seems to be no
alternative except to promote a simpler IAL via the entire population. Not easy, but I think it
possible if the IAL is on the jargon -> pidgin -> vernacular model, which originated through
voluntaristic adult transmission.

So what parts of the adult population might one try to reach? I’ve written about this before,
and given reasons why the middle-classes are no longer the main drivers (to the detriment
of Esperanto etc.), as they were a century ago. No, I think the demand would now mainly
come from the consumers of advertising and pop culture, even as fame and fashion have
internationalised.

The pidgins were largely formed and spread via self-interest in a commercial setting and I
cannot but see that conditions seem to be ripe for the formation and spead of a “global
pidgin” in a congruent manner with the help of the the mass media.

At the very least, promoting such a language would be something to be getting on with while
waiting for the conditions that might promote a more sophisticated IAL. Indeed, starting off a
Level 1 “global pidgin” would give a Level 2 language with a proper international vocabulary
a head start, and should itself lead to a Level 2 language in any case by the normal process
of jargon -> pidgin -> vernacular progression.

Antony Alexander