I personally cannot believe the  amount of traffic an unexplained  fever in a
 child on an antibiotic(rightly or  wrongly) can generate.  I thought this
was for new issues in pediatrics, and having finished my  residency in 1974, and
practising Emergency Medicine for 27 years I can assure  you that rhis child
is not unique in any way, shape or form. What were you  taught in your
training? I was taught to look at the child, GET  A FEELING FOR  WHETHER HE/SHE IS
SICK, AND EITHER DO FURTHUR   WORKUP OR NOT DEPENDING ON YOUR CLINICAL
IMPRESSION. Has this changed? I think  not, and these types of questions waste our
time!! Gene Saltzberg  MD

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: