Yes, the XInclude solution seems the most economical in this case. No
excuse other than sunspots (or something) for my not having thought of
it before posting the query, as we've previously used XInclude for TEI
header boilerplate that might be subject to change.

DS

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, John A. Walsh wrote:

> David,
>
> You might also collect all your <rendition> elements in a separate TEI
> document, and then in your 50 files point to that document with your
> @rendition attributes, e.g.:
>
> <title rendition="http://myRenditions.xml#hb">The Odyssey</title>
>
> Of course, that's a bit verbose.  You could use an entity in your internal
> DTD subset for that base url.
>

> My practice, though is to keep a separate tagsDecl.xml file for a common set
> of documents and include it in each document using XInclude. In my
> <teiHeader> elements you'll find something like this:
>
> <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
> href="includes/tagsDecl.xml"/>
>
> John
> --
> | John A. Walsh
> | Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science
> | Indiana University, 1320 East Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405
> | www: <http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/jawalsh/>
> | Voice:812-856-0707 Fax:812-856-2062 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>

> On Nov 30, 2007, at 5:53 PM, David Sewell wrote:
>
>> Now that there is a global @rendition attribute in TEI P5
>>
>> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.global.html
>>
>> I'm wondering about best practice for documenting a rendition value that
>> is used for multiple document instances. If you have 50 files of related
>> material in which you want to be able to say
>>
>> <cell rendition="#heavyborder">
>>
>> it doesn't make a lot of sense to add 50 separate <tagsDecl> elements
>> to 50 TEI headers containing the declaration
>>
>> <rendition xml:id="heavyborder" scheme="css">border: 4px solid
>> black</rendition>
>>
>> because when you decide that you really want "3pt" and not "4px" you
>> have to change the definition in 50 files. So ideally you want to point
>> to an external resource containing your definition of 'heavyborder',
>> let's say at http://myURI#hb.
>>
>> Would the best approach then be to revise the <rendition> element to
>>
>> <rendition xml:id="heavyborder" scheme="css"><ptr
>>   target="http://myURI#hb"/></rendition>
>>
>> ? Or is there a better way of handling this use case?
>>
>> DS
>>
>> --
>> David Sewell, Editorial and Technical Manager
>> ROTUNDA, The University of Virginia Press
>> PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
>> Courier: 310 Old Ivy Way, Suite 302, Charlottesville VA 22903
>> Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
>> Web: http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/

Electronic Imprint, The University of Virginia Press
PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.ei.virginia.edu/