How did English come to be without front rounded vowels, when the
majority of Germanic languages have them?  Did English lose them at
some point, or was it a parallel development in the others?

I'm being a bit lazy by asking on here, but it's the sort of question
that takes a few searches and scans to find the answer to.

It came up because I have a Swedish coworker named Skold, and I just
found out that it's really Sköld /j\2ld/ (not sure about the CXS for
the sje-sound) - the Swedish word for "shield".  Phonetically, the
connection between sköld and shield is much  closer than the written
forms suggest; the midpoint between the pronunciations is probably
[Seld] which differs from the Swedish in little more than
lip-rounding.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>