-----Original Message-----
From: Brown University Bicycle Commuting List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rogers, Donald
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIKE-TO-BROWN] The ANSWER to...

No safety lecture from me; the technique of tire wiping is at least as
old as tire savers, and probably as old as pneumatic tires themselves!
It is a time-honored means of mitigating the danger of sharp stuff to
road tires. Best results occur with gloved hands and special techniques
to guard the hand from being sucked into the wheel or the frame. And of
course, it only helps on unfendered bikes.

Traditionally, the criticism of tire wiping is that by the time you get
your hand to the wheel (and especially the second wheel you choose), the
tire has revolved several times, embedding anything truly flat-provoking
deep enough into the rubber that wiping won't remove it. But, lacking
personal experience with the technique, I can't say if that holds up.

Tire savers are reported to work well by some of the retro-cyclers I
correspond with. I've never tried them but always wanted to. Apparently
they can actually be mounted inside a fender, if you need to.

It's also supposedly pretty straightforward to fabricate something
similar from an old spoke, but pre-fab works for me. :)

Don

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Tire%20Sav

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-