Hello Dot,

 > A colleague is considering using the Classical Text Editor for her
 > project (http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kvk/cte/).

A colleague of mine is using CTE for a complex tri-lingual (Arabic,
Greek, Latin) print edition with multiple apparatus and sets of notes.
I've been assisting her with some of the technicalities. I'm very much
impressed with the range of things that CTE can do. The author, Stefan
Hagel, is also quick to respond to problems and willing to fix things if
needed.
If you're going to depend on the TEI export you may want to test that
first. The last time I looked at it (which is a few years ago) it had
some problems.

Best,
Peter