Justin Tonra wrote:

> Peter, Paul & James
>
> many thanks for your comments. Just to clarify, the word 'back' in the
> margin of the poem is not intended to become part of the text, or
> replace an existing part. It is an instruction for the typesetter /
> compositor to take the two adjacent lines, which are currently at the
> top of a page of the proof, and move them to the bottom of the previous
> page when preparing the type for the first edition.
> So, I see it as a <note> which has been <add>ed, but because it is not
> <add>ed to the text of the poem I'm reluctant to place it within the
> <l>. But because this section sits within a larger <lg>, I'm aware of
> the difficulty.
> I suppose that, essentially, I'm looking for a way to tag this and other
> proof correction marks by linking them to the line to which they refer,
> but maintaining their textual independence from that line.

Hi Justin,

That sounds like a justification for marking them up in a stand-off manner,
so storing the notes somewhere else and pointing from them with a target
attribute back to the xml:id attribute of the lg element.  The notes could
be stored elsewhere in the file, or in a completely different file then.

Best,
-James