Martin Holmes wrote:

> I think I'd use <phr> here (or possibly <seg>):

> Wouldn't that make more sense? "Word" is notoriously difficult to
> define, but we tend to know it when we encounter it (much like
> "syllable"); I've never thought of "of course" as a word, and I don't
> think many people would.

You're entitled to your opinion! My point was simply that the <w> tag
doesn't require others to share it, in this case -- if you *want* to
treat a sequence of strings which includes whitespace as a single
lexical item, then <w> can be used for the purpose. Hence the phrase
"not necessarily orthographic" in its definition. As elsewhere, the TEI
is agnostic on the wisdom of particular cases.