Hi Martin,

I think you want to check out a thread from the TEI council listserv
"date attributes: summary, problems, and some suggestions", which is
publicly available here:
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2007/thread.html#6725

I haven't read through the entire thread, but in the first message Syd
suggests deleting @precision. His argument:

* The precision= attribute is superfluous, as the precision is
  represented in the value of the value=, dur=, notBefore=, notAfter=,
  from=, or to= attribute(s).
  One might argue that we should instead change this attribute to
  indicate that a time is precise only to the minute or hour (as
  opposed to second or fraction thereof) and thus not require our
  extension to W3C datatypes. However, this may become a non-issue
  depending on outcomes of the items discussed below; besides, I
  wouldn't make this argument, so ...
  Suggestion: delete it.

You'll have to go through the thread to see the full discussion, but
it might give you suggestions for replacing it.

Dot

On Jan 28, 2008 1:22 PM, Martin Holmes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm converting a project started in the early days of P5 over to the
> current stable schema, and I've found that the @precision attribute,
> which I happily used on <date>, seems to have disappeared. Any idea what
> happened to it? Has it moved to a module or class I haven't managed to
> find, or was it eliminated? If it's gone, what would you suggest I use
> in its place?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
> --
> Martin Holmes
> University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre
> Half-Baked Software, Inc.

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
http://www.rch.uky.edu
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
http://www.vis.uky.edu
[log in to unmask]          859-257-1257 x.82115