Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> Final question, out of interest... how would you express:
>
> "17th July (definitely and precisely). Don't know which year, but almost
> certainly mid-sixteenth century."?

Because of the imprecise formulation of 'mid-sixteenth century' as a
period, I would encode this as:

<date when="--07-17" period="#mid16thC">17th July</date>

(-- is the W3C notation for an omitted year, there are a number of ways to
do the same thing in ISO with @when-iso)

Elsewhere I would define what I meant by 'mid16thC' either in prose:

or more precisely:

<date xml:id="mid16thC" from="1540-01-01" to="1560-12-31">The dates we are
using for our designation 'middle of the 16th Century'</date>

or something like that.

With respect to dates and precision, I still feel the W3C/ISO dating
attributes have a set amount of precision inbuilt into them which is good
for the majority of cases.  If someone wants greater precision, then they
shouldn't be using those attributes.  Indicating which is more exact used
to be done on dateRange with an @exact attribute, which caused lots of
confusion.  Since dateRanges can be expressed cleanly in ISO style dates
and thus the @*-iso attributes.  What I find more interesting is that in P5
you can not only indicate @from and @to, but with the ISO versions of those
attributes you can indicate a range of time from and a range of time to. So
you can say 'from sometime in these two months' to something in this
fortnight.  Likewise you can do this with @notBefore-iso and @notAfter-iso.
  This can mean some quite confusing situations of imprecision can be
expressed.

It is clear what a date range means on a @from-iso/@to-iso:

<date from-iso="1540-03-17/P2M" to-iso="1560-02-14/14D"> This thing ran
from sometime in the two months following St Patrick's Day in 1540, and
lasted until sometime during the fortnight after Valentine's day in
1560.</date>

So something which runs from one date to another.  But gets slightly more
confusion, I think, when one uses notBefore-iso and notAfter-iso to locate
something which which is a singular date, not a date range, by means of ranges.

<date notBefore-iso="1540-03-17/P2M" notAfter-iso="1560-02-14/14D"> We
aren't sure of the exact date of this thing, but we know it certainly was
not before some imprecise date somewhere in the two months following St
Patrick's Day in 1540, and certainly not after some imprecise date
somewhere in the fortnight after Valentine's day in 1560.</date>

When one adds a @cert to this, is it both attributes that it applies to? Is
it the notBefore/notAfter aspect or the ranges inside? What if you are
certain of one range, but much less certain of the other?  I've always felt
that if one truly wants to record certainty and/or precision (in anything
other than a generalised 'high/medium/low' for the interpretation as a
whole), then a single attribute is always bound to disappoint.  But I'm
watching the discussion with interest.

-James