Jon Noring wrote:
> Slowly but surely I am learning the finer points of marking up books
> with TEI, and am curious how one should markup an epigraph which has a
> "closer". For example, here's a title page with an epigraph:
>
>    http://www.openreader.org/myantonia/pagescans/r03.png

I am slightly puzzled by your use of the word "closer" here, probably
because we use it in TEI for a group of liminary elements at the end of
division, which this is certainly not.  The page you cite contains a
pretty straightfoward <epigraph> , which I would tag (following the
example in the Guidelines at
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-epigraph.html)

> Part of my confusion is how one handles the "VIRGIL." in this epigraph.
> (And not only for title page epigraphs as the above example, but also
> for similar epigraphs at the start of a division.)
>
> My reading of P5 is that one may include bibliographic information in
> <bibl> is more for "metadata" purposes rather than capturing/
> structuring the original text.

<bibl> is for holding any bibliographic information, wherever it
appears. I find it often hard to distinguish "metadata" uses for bibl
from "structural" ones, and I also find it hard to believe that P5
contains any suggestion that it bibl is only for "metadata" purposes, by
which I assume you mean for marking up information added to a text
rather than inherently part of it. But things like epigraphs are (or
claim to be) "added to the text" in some sense, surely?