> Slowly but surely I am learning the finer points of marking up books
> with TEI, and am curious how one should markup an epigraph which has a
> "closer". For example, here's a title page with an epigraph:
>
>    http://www.openreader.org/myantonia/pagescans/r03.png
>
> Part of my confusion is how one handles the "VIRGIL." in this epigraph.
> (And not only for title page epigraphs as the above example, but also
> for similar epigraphs at the start of a division.)

Fine points are not our specialty, but we would certainly
tag an epigraph like the one in question (which is very
similar to the Lucretius example used in the Guidelines from P3
to P5) using <epigraph> and <bibl>. Our reduced tag set
so we would tag simply as

  <epigraph>
  <bibl>VIRGIL</bibl>
  </epigraph>

But this, I think, would be a little more correct:

  <epigraph>
  <cit>
   <quote xml:lang="lat">
   <l>Optima dies ... prima fugit</l>
   </quote>
   <bibl>VIRGIL</bibl>
  </cit>
  </epigraph>

But I'm probably wrong!

pfs
--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/