Tim Finney wrote
> There is a big problem here as the humanities doesn't have anything
> like
physical standards against which to measure accuracy.

And that is why I think that this category is not particularly helpful for our discussion.

Concerning the other categories, Gabby has listed enough examples to illustrate that what is needed is the capability to express dates and date ranges, the certitude with which this assertion can be made, _and_ the precision of their numerical values. Precision is here a sine qua non and I am not sure how even the ISO standard can express the kind of imprecise dating needed on the grounds often provided by manuscript evidence. This imprecision and certitude is not necessarily related to a non-committal "sitting-on-the-fence" attitude, but more often a scholarly responsible way of expressing what can be reasonably expressed. Pushing towards precision and/or certitude in these cases would be utterly irresponsible in scholarly terms.

Best,

Juan

Dr Juan Garcés
Curator, Codex Sinaiticus Project