Lou's Laptop a Úcrit :
> Marking up the detailed analysis of such textual phenomena  is an
> amusing intellectual exercise, but I can't see what practical benefit it
> might have.

Well, it depends what you want to do with the markup of your text. If
you are, for example, lemmatizing your texts for indexing or other
functions, then you need to do something with expressions such as
"media/tion". Either it is a new word, and has its own lemma (not in any
dictionary, I imagine); or it is two words (whatever their relationship)
and you may want to index it under both "media" and "mediation". Or
perhaps both. (We have a similar--although not the same--issue with
Greek words in crasis: "kÔk" from "kai ek", say: we may want to index
this three times, or at least find it under its native form and the two
lemmata it contains.) If you are marking up your entire text at the word
level--as many people no doubt are--then you will probably sometimes
need to have a way of dealing with cases where the word-boundary is
fluid. Sounds like a "practical benefit" to me. :)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London