> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kjell
Rehnström

> Imagine what had happened if Latin were written with
ideogrammes like
> Chinese characters. Then the European languages might have
been quite
> easy to force at least in reading. We would understand a
> Brezhnev to be
> Strand, Shore, Rantanen and a Churchill as perhaps Kyrkbacke,
> Kirkkomäki
> (?) etc.
>
> Perhaps a comming IAL is the acronyms of chat conversations
like LOL,
> IRC etc. As I understand the English acronymes are sometimes
> used evem
> om Swedosj- Sometimes they are translated, but not always.
> And if that
> is how they do in other languages as well, then we have got
> ourselves a
> new issue of Speed Words in a not too distant future.
(Interesting
> perspective on the whole).

Acronyms are becoming far more common, especially with chat and
SMS messages.  I'm not sure how many have made it from English
into other languages, or if other languages have their own
acronyms though.  I was never a big fan of online chatting, and
don't use SMS at all.