2008/1/4, James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>:

> Dave scrit:
>
> >-writing: Kazakhstan is planning to switch to the
> Latin alphabet within the next decade or so, and
> that's a good thing as it'll help facilitate
> communication between Turkic languages.
>
> Spelling reform and adoption of the Latin alphabet are
> topics I'm also interested in.  I posted a rather
> interesting essay by Jespersen on the subject of
> romanization:
> http://www.geocities.com/idojc/latin.html
>
> >if you're of the opinion that the languages of the
> world are eventually going to merge into a big creole
> the best thing to do could be promoting an existing
> creole
>
> How about Papiamentu?  There are only 2 things holding
> me back from promoting this creole: the lack of a good
> dictionary (looks like i would have to take a holiday
> on Aruba or Curacao to get hold of one!); and that I
> am not sure how the speakers of a creole like Pap.
> would feel about their language being promoted as an
> auxlang.

Yeah, I've always thought you should go there and try learning it. Second
best might be finding some people online that could teach it to you or
trying your hand at writing on their Wikipedia.

Since it's relatively easy compared to Spanish, shouldn't you be able to
figure out the grammar as you go by checking out the online newspapers and
taking comments from people that live there? Maybe you could start a
Papiamentu grammar and language source wiki at wikia.com and with enough
effort you could make the first complete Papiamentu course online strictly
through your own experiences.

I've seen a lot of Papiamentu videos on YouTube too and I bet some people
from there would be willing to transcribe the speech since that's usually
the best way to learn a language and they should be interested in promoting
it.

I'd put some work into that too if you started a wiki on the language.

--
http://idistaro.com