2008/1/5, steve rice <[log in to unmask]>:
--- Paul Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, MacLeod Dave wrote:
>
> > How long do you think it would take for a single
> person to transcribe the
> > whole thing by hand? Are you allowed to take
> computers into the library for
> > this purpose?
>
> Yes, laptop computers are allowed in the Library of
> Congress, at least
> in the general reading rooms.  However, the total
> amount of material is
> actually quite large and could take many, many
> man-days of nothing but
> straight transcription effort, I would say.  As I
> recall, the bound
> volumes they have of "Discussiones," "Circulare,"
> and "Schola et Vita"
> run to about eleven fairly substantial volumes of, I
> would say, octavo
> size, and the LoC may not have everything.

What about a compromise? While some of the materials
are fragile, presumably not all are, and cutting a
page is no big deal: you aren't photocopying. If a
camera could be used for some of the material, the
resulting images could be hand-copied by one of us
looneys. That would reduce the amount of hand-copying.
And even that could be dealt with in other ways, if
you wouldn't mind the annoyance: take along a
recorder. (I have a small one I use when I'm
interviewing or covering a meeting; it can handle 13
hours or thereabouts.) Then just read into the mike.
You might want to jot down any troublesome spellings
(e.g., names). Again, someone else could do the
transcription later. We could start phonemic and later
change to classical if desired.

It wouldn't have to be done in a day or a week or even
a month.

As to copyright, this comes under the Fair Use
provision, specifically Scholarly Use--at least in the
US.

Steve

I'd transcribe it for sure, even if it were just a sound file. I type at about 100 wpm and would love nothing more than to be able to record all this information and put it up online. So count me in as another interested looney.

--
http://idistaro.com