--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
> Paul Bartlett

> > didn't pay attention to whether there was even a
> copyright
> notice in
> > the materials.
>
> IANAL but last I recall reading that the latest laws
> and
> treaties consider *everything* copyrighted
> regardless of whether
> it has a notice or not.

True for modern texts, not necessarily for these. For
the past twenty years or so, anything you write, even
a shopping list, is under copyright. The difference
between this general copyright and the registered kind
we writers tend to prefer is that if I catch someone
selling pirated copies of a general copyright work of
mine, I can bring action to stop him, but I can't
recover any profits he has effectively stolen from me.
With a registered copyright, I can also sue for
whatever money he has collected for my work.

Given the period of this work, if there is no specific
notice, it probably is not under copyright in the US.
(In Britain, on the other hand, automatic copyright
goes back much further.) Anyway, this is why some
comparatively recent works have turned up on
Gutenberg: in the absence of a specific copyright
notice, these earlier works are effectively in the
public domain.

Steve

Be a better friend, newshound, and