James Chandler skrev:
> Kjell scrit:
>

>> An enormous switch over to English seams to be going
>>
> on. Ministers in new EU countries speak English to a
> significant degree. Perhaps it is not satisfactory to
> the native speakers, but to us non-native speakers
> their English is quite passable.
>
> IMO this is a tendency that can be exaggerated (often
> by Kjell!).  A few continental Europeans have mastered
> English, that warmonger Barroso for example.  But they
> are the exception.  Most of your European counterparts
> do not find English very easy, Kjell - especially
> those whose L1 is romanic.

>  I see that English is what people learn, in Poland as well as in Sweden. And even young people of Polish descent prefer to speak English they their Polish relatives.
>

> I disagree with this.  Apart from the fact that I like
> to promote alternative solutions and viewpoints, I
> don't think the auxlang problem is anywhere near
> solved.  If our best hopes are English and Esp then we
> don't have much to work with.  It would be a mistake
> to think we have to accept the status quo at this
> early stage of the game.

Basically I'd agree with you. I surely prefer to use an IAL to English,
but I for one think the idea is hard to sell. E.g. I talk to a person in
Latvia. 40 years of age. Has got to learn the other world language,
English. Already knows Russian at a very high level, nearly completely
bilingual, as far as I can judge. But Occidental, hmmm? I have mentioned
it. And I know how hard it is to learn English when you are a grown up
person. The hidious pronunciation, just to mention one thing. When I
learnt English I was at a very formative age and it was not too
difficult to acquire a more or less understandable pronunciation, and
our languages are quite related: Mannen ror båten till London: The man
is rowing the boat to London. But to a grown up Latvian Englsih is hard.
The younger generation will learn English in school and for them it will
be quite easy.

Imposing or introducing a language seems to take somewhat like 2
generations. I mean as a workable school language that you as your
second one. The first generation are the adult people who have to switch
to the new language. Then they will teach it to the school kids, and if
they do it right, the young will know the language quite well as
compared to the elderly.

An example of that could be this: In my young years when we went to the
movies (cinema) and saw the newsreels about people recieving the Nobel
prize, the professors that introduced the laureats spoke very broken
English, even to us, and we laughed about that. They are much better
nowadays.

I think that we are looking but not seeing, as uncle Albert says in the
Australian TV series they showed here a couple of years ago. And what we
don't see is the use of the IAL inside a country. Why is it better for a
Persian in Sweden to learn Swedish than Occidental? Swedish as a foreign
language is equally difficult if you live in the ocuntry as abroad.
Compare to English.

Interestingn to se what would happen if people suddenly started speaking
Occidental in a lot of countries. That would be a sight worth seing!

Kjell R