> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens
Wilkinson
> --- [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > Actually, I have read where Chinese prefer to keep
> > their
> > language to within Chinese culture rather than have
> > others learn
> > it.
>
> I suppose that might be true in a comparative sense,
> i.e. the Chinese have not been very active in
> spreading the language. But you might be interested in
> this:
>
> http://english.people.com.cn/200611/07/eng20061107_319217.html
>
> This is from the People's Daily, reporting on efforts
> to spread Chinese in Africa.

Naturally I'd expect any popular language like Chinese to be of
interest in education.  What politicians and governments do is
another story but the articles I was reading were reflective of
the attitude of Chinese people toward what they consider *their*
language.  I think a lot of it has to do with associate their
language with their cultural identity, therefore not wanting to
spoil it by having outsiders use or misuse it.  The attitudes in
other cultures is somewhat different.  French seem to take the
opposite attitude.