James Chandler wrote:
> Risto, I think you will find there are only 2 main
> orthographies, the article in fact states that Bonaire
> essentially uses the Curacao spelling. So the Aruba
> orthography is etymological, with double-valued c.
> The Curacao orthography is phonemic, with k-and-s.

It's hard to understand why Papiamentu chose to use two orthographies. How
does that situation benefit the kids learning it or the adults using it?
Why am I asking these rhetoric questions? We all know that it's
counter-productive for the language community, and it undermines
Papiamentu's credibility as IAL contender.

What I see in Papiamentu is too large phoneme inventory to make it
difficult for almost everybody, two or three alternative spelling systems
to complicate the matters for nothing, and a grammar that is nothing
special compared to other pidgins/creoles and many modern conIALs.

> This is analogous to the Phonetic and Othographic
> Novials.

You must mean Palaeontographic Novial. It's very sad for Novial that
Jespersen's originally brave attempt to get rid of useless historical
spelling conventions was ruined in later revisions.

-- Risto Kupsala