From: Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>

 == Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==

> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?

Douglas Koller; Chinese name: "Kou Daoguang", which morphs into "Lao Kou" or
"Kou" at whim.

>     b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>     conlang fluency?

Sure.

> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>     are sending the survey response from)?
>     b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?

Yup.

> 03. Do you have a website relating to your constructed language(s)?

Alas, no. Soooooon, sooooon.

> 04. a. How old are you?

44.

>     b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?

15-ish. Lots of "-ish."

>     c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>         in (one of) your constructed language(s)?

Competency, only relatively recently.

> 05. Are you male or female?

Male.

> 06. a. What is your nationality?

USA

>     b. Where do you live now?

Leominster, MA, USA

>     c. Where were your ancestors from?

Father: the bohunk side; great-grandfather and relatives left Austro-Hungary WWI
-ish. Mother: supposedly relatives on the Mayflower (you believe that; such a
bridge I have to sell...) (well, Phillips is *Anglo* (which has forever scarred
my ability to spell the name "Phillip" (Philip? Philipp?) Aargh, the pressure.

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?

English

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

French, Chinese, Japanese.

German, Hungarian, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Shanghainese, Cantonese,
Taiwanese...

One feels that, given practice, getting up to speed would be quite quick.

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

Esperanto. Competency.

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>     or specialization?

B.A. French Lit.

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?

Teacher.

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?

FL

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?

?  Is conlanging "bourgeois"?

>     b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>      child?

We was po'

> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?

Can't get married, can't get divorced, if you see my meaning. Single.

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?

Taoism has informed my reading of other religious texts. Freelance.

>     b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?

Agnostic.

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>     relevant?

Nyet.

> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==

> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>     invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?

Géarthnuns.

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?  Is
>     it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>     speakers human?

Meant to be spoken in our world in our time, albeit on an island in the Sea of
Japan, by humans.

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>     (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
>     of a priori and a posteriori elements?

A priori.

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>     order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>     isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>     word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>     other...?

I'm a little rusty on some of these terms. It's SOV, accusative, marks case like
Latin, postpositional; adjectives follow nouns. I think I've broken a universal
or two, hence some more baroque or byzantine sentences, but *I* like it.

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be (in
>     grammar and vocabulary)?

It's on its way at 6200 lexical entries on the Géarthnuns-English side. And yet,
hardly enough to write in a leisurely about many things. I think the grammar is
firmly entrenched enough to get the job done, but it'd be nice to allow some
stylistic flourishes grammatically.

>     b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>     complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>     considerably more development for that to be possible?

Major injection of vocab would be necessary to make me feel that Géarthnuns was
really fully fleshed out.

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>     especially difficult for speakers of your native language?

Negative-ness marked on nouns might initially be tough for IE speakers to
presage a negative clause, but I've gotten over it.

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==

> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>     you started creating it?

Yes. Again, more competency than fluency, capital F.

> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>     goals or purposes for learning it?

Inhabiting and fleshing out the conworld that's out there.

> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>     a. Prayer?
>     b. Meditation?
>     c. Thinking?
>     d. Taking notes in the course of study?
>     e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
>     f. Writing a diary?
>     g. Writing poetry or other literature?
>     h. Singing?
>     i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
>     j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>         of your conlang?
>     k. Anything else?

I hope, for all o' that.

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>     subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?

I think so.

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>     fast as you can handwrite or type?

If I don't need to look up vocab, yeah.

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>     looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>     translate it?
Yes.

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?
>     b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>     words or short phrases?

This happened more often when I had a totally dewd dog in the mix. Since his
passing, it hasn't really happened.

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately constructing
>     sentences word by word?

Mezza mezz'.

> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>     your conlang?

Yes.

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>     speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>     understand your pronunciation?

Of course, I am the arbiter of how pronunciation is arbitrated.

> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>     with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>     the experience.

There was an internet exercise, where you could trade off with someone where you
studied his/her language and he/she studied yours. Didn't last so long, but it
was fun while it lasted.

> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve your
>     fluency in it?

Translation, to find vocab gaps.

> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>     head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>     pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>     computer, or...?

Hard copy on paper. Computer work. Trying to back stuff up so if one implodes, the other lives on.

> 40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>     experience using it?  In what way?

The lang had a major overall after I graduated college and went to China, cases, gender, usw. expanded. Polarity was introduced.

Kou