Dirk Elzinga wrote:

> Roger:
>
> I hesitated posting these comments because I'm leaving in the morning for
> conference in NYC, and I may or may not be able to read email while I'm
> gone. ....>
> I've been reading (and re-reading) your short description of Prevli
> phonology. It is very interesting, and to this Americanist, very strange.
> recognize (I think) some things from Austronesian (no surprise there!),
> and
> I find them refreshing. I had a few comments; take them or leave them, as
> they are useful to you.

Very trenchant comments; many thanks. You've hit upon exactly the areas that
bothered me..... One of my problems is how to come up with a spelling system
that either reveals as many of the allophonic/morphophonemic alternations as
possible-- or whether to use a more phonemic system, give the rules, and let
the reader figure it out. (That's how a native speaker might view it, but
not fair to us outlanders, I think).  I'll wait a few days before answering
more fully.

(snip the rest)