== Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==

> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?
Jeff Jones (qiihoskeh)

>     b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
    conlang fluency?
yes

>     c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?

> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
    are sending the survey response from)?
see above

>     b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?
yes

http://qiihoskeh.googlepages.com/home

> 04. a. How old are you?
50

>     b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?
upper teens?

>     c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>         in (one of) your constructed language(s)?
not yet

> 05. Are you male or female?
male

> 06. a. What is your nationality?
USA

>     b. Where do you live now?
South Florida

>     c. Where were your ancestors from?
Eastern US/colonies; more remotely, Britain and nearby places (probably
not Lithuania)

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?
English

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
in class: Spanish, German, Latin, Japanese
I also have TY books for Farsi, Dano-norwegian, Polish, and Irish Gaelic
and a book on Homeric Greek;
no fluency in any of these

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
LAadan, maybe Tokana; no fluency

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>     or specialization?
B.M. Music Composition, B.S. Computer Science

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?
assembly language/real-time embedded systems product development

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?
disabled

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?
SSI

[hEkIfa:In@u]

> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?
single

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?
it doesn't have a name; I'm still constructing it

>     b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?
agnostic (non-practicing)

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>     relevant?
I'm bearded, but not gay or left-handed.

== Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==

If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.

> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>     invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?
This is hard to answer. I feel that 'Yemls is my primary language, but
I haven't worked on it in a long time, or on Vallese and have mostly
forgotten Naisek (but like the others, I had some facility with it
while I was working on it), so I should use MNCL5 -- but that doesn't
have an actual name yet!

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?  Is
>     it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>     speakers human?
MNCL5: originally made to try out some things; currently a fictional
    auxlang used by people who are physically but not mentally human
'Yemls: originally designed to fit 52 character syllabary; personal or
    postapocalyptic (human)
Vallese: alternate history fiction (human); supposed to be realistic
Naisek: European isolate that nobody's been aware of until now

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>     (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
>     of a priori and a posteriori elements?
MNCL5: grammar completely a priori, but current vocabulary mostly
    a posteriori
'Yemls: a priori with a few words from natlangs
Vallese: a posteriori (from Vulgar Latin)
Naisek: a priori

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>     order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>     isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>     word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>     other...?
MNCL5: pragmatic word order, but genitives precede; agglutinating with
    some fusion; active with enhancements
'Yemls: SVO, prepositional, agglutinating, accusative with complications
Vallese: SVO, prepositional, fusional, accusative (typical romance)
Naisek: pragmatic word order, prepositional; ergative (more or less)

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be (in
>     grammar and vocabulary)?
MNCL5/'Yemls/Vallese/Naisek: basic structure complete, but a number of
    details need to be filled in; vocabulary < 200 words

>     b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>     complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>     considerably more development for that to be possible?
MNCL5/'Yemls/Vallese/Naisek: more development

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>     especially difficult for speakers of your native language?
phonology: depends on what other languages they speak and what type of
    native accent
divalent nouns/inversion: MNCL5, 'Yemls
cases: Naisek, MNCL5
gender: Vallese
maybe agreement: Naisek, Vallese

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>     expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?
MNCL5: maybe embedding, lack of lexicalizable compounds?
'Yemls/Vallese/Naisek: no

== Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==

> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>     you started creating it?
>     b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>     result of developing and using it?
I'd like to become fluent in at least one of my conlangs: Vallese, and
one other for personal use. However, in most cases, fluency wasn't one
of the original goals.

> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>     goals or purposes for learning it?
Vallese: it would enhance my use of other romlangs; also see (26)

> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>     a. Prayer?
>     b. Meditation?
>     c. Thinking?
>     d. Taking notes in the course of study?
>     e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
>     f. Writing a diary?
I wrote an LJ entry entirely in MNCL5, but it was a very short entry.

>     g. Writing poetry or other literature?
I hope to write a series of stories in Vallese (if only I could write
fiction!) to be published with a mini-grammar and vocabulary, fake
introduction, etc.

>     h. Singing?
>     i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
I'd like to do that (but grammars only) for each of my major conlangs.
I already have a few grammatical terms in Vallese.

>     j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>         of your conlang?
not anymore

>     k. Anything else?
cussing and anything else that might tend to get me in trouble

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>     subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?
I might be able to in MNCL5, which borrows words on the fly, if I had
anything original to say.

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>     fast as you can handwrite or type?
MNCL5: not quite. Of course, I write and type slowly!

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>     looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>     translate it?
MNCL5: no texts
'Yemls: no
Vallese: almost!
Naisek: no

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?
no

>     b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>     words or short phrases?
>     c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>     work)?

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately constructing
>     sentences word by word?
no

>     b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>     conlang to work)?

> 32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?
no, but I've dreamed of working on a conlang (always a completely new
one!)

>     b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn out,
>     when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?

> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>     your conlang?
yes -- I read a whole Naisek text at LCC2

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>     speed?
no (except for things like "yes" and "no")

>     If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>     understand your pronunciation?
yes

> 35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able to
>     understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>     after you spoke and recorded it?
I haven't tried this.

> 36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>     about certain subjects, what are those subjects?
NA

> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>     with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>     the experience.
no

> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve your
>     fluency in it?
>     b. Which have you found most effective?
writing a lot of sample sentences and reading them out loud; occasional
expansion drills

> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>     head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>     pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>     computer, or...?
I try to write down (pen and paper) any unresolved issues I can think
of. Then I come up with possibly solutions. After something has been
decided, it gets documented in a computer file (usually HTML).

> 40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>     experience using it?  In what way?
The original version of MNCL was CV with 25 consonants. I found that
I had to speak as if every syllable were long, because otherwise, my
mind refused to distinguish unstressed vowels. So I changed it (a few
times) trying out various clusters and diphthongs, making remaining
VC sequences either VC: or V:C, and eliminated the most troublesome
consonants. All this caused changes to the morphology and vocabulary.
I also made some common morphemes either short (with harmonizing
vowels) or fusional (adding final consonants) in order to reduce word
length.

> 41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>     phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>     intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>     language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>     actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>     realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>     originally defined it?
no

> 42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>     of change?
no

>     Have you refrained from making changes in the language
>     that you would otherwise make because they would require
>     re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?
No, but this does affect my choice of alternative solutions.

> 43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>     fluent in it?  In what way?
no

> 44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak your
>     native language, or other languages you are fluent in?
maybe in subtle ways

> 45. Is there anything else you would like to add?
no