On Jan 27, 2008 6:07 AM, John Vertical <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  And this is just one difference in the list; far as I can
> tell, "mailing list culture" and "forum culture" are quite distinct,
> probably "usenet culture" and "blog culture" too. So I don't think this is
> as simple an issue as content filtering!

One thing I've noticed on mailing lists versus message boards is that
on mailing lists, people tend to be far better behaved and mature
about things. I visit gardening boards and am on the medit-plants
(Mediterranean gardening) list, and I've noticed that people tend to
stay pretty much on topic on the list. On message boards I visit, it's
usually flame wars, political discussions (that edge toward neo-con
politics), and nasty attitudes wrapped up in falsely innocent posts
intended to fan flames. I pretty much cannot stand the ZBB board
because of many posters there (call it snobbery, elitism, or what, I
remain firm). So, I tend to be an off and on visitor to message
boards.