Here is a summary from *Pediatr Clin North Am* - 01-DEC-2007:

 Savino and colleagues
[47]<http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/88570744-3/jorg=journal&source=MI&sp=20186640&sid=676644115/N/620173/1.html?issn=0031-3955#r07001423047>have
evaluated the effect of
*probiotics* and prebiotics on *colic*. In one trial, they compared a *
probiotic* (*Lactobacillus reuteri*) with simethicone in a randomized
controlled trial in 90 exclusively breastfed colicky infants. Simethicone, a
conventional nonprescription medication, has been previously shown to be
ineffective for *colic* treatment
[19]<http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/88570744-3/jorg=journal&source=MI&sp=20186640&sid=676644115/N/620173/1.html?issn=0031-3955#r07001423019>.
After the 1-month trial, 95% of the *probiotic* treatment group responded
(no longer met Wessel criteria for *colic*) versus only 7% of the
simethicone group. The second study randomized 267 formula-fed infants to
one of two arms
[48]<http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/88570744-3/jorg=journal&source=MI&sp=20186640&sid=676644115/N/620173/1.html?issn=0031-3955#r07001423048>.
The treatment group was fed a novel partially hydrolyzed whey protein
formula supplemented with prebiotic oligosaccharides and the control group
received the standard formula (without prebiotics) and simethicone. The
treatment group, after both 1 and 2 weeks, had a significant reduction in
crying episodes when compared with the control group.

With regard to the immune compromised patients, how do the European
reports define "immune compromised?"  Certainly any neonate/young infant can
be technically be defined as "immune compromised" or "immunologically
immature" but I would think giving probiotics to a healthy 6 month old is
different than a 16 year old with ALL undergoing chemotherapy and an ANC of
300.

I have never personally recommended probiotics or yogurt to parents in the
ED, but find the possibility of giving this advice intriguing, especially
when I have little else to advice these understandably beleaguered parents.

John Lee, MD

On 2/20/08, Michael Gorn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Check out this recent study in Pediatrics.  There is
> some helpful info there as well.
>

> Francesco Savino, MD, Emanuela Pelle, MD, Elisabetta
> Palumeri, MD, Roberto Oggero, MD and Roberto Miniero,
> MD Lactobacillus reuteri (American Type Culture
> Collection Strain 55730) Versus Simethicone in the
> Treatment of Infantile Colic: A Prospective Study
> PEDIATRICS Vol. 119 No. 1 January 2007, pp. e124-e130
>
> Michael
>

> --- "D. Scott Moore, DO, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > A follow up....
> >

> http://www.parenting.com/article/Pregnancy/Health/A-Natural-Colic-Cure
> >
> > Has anyone actually looked at this?  I know not
> > exactly an emergency
> > medicine topic, but I have fielded many questions at
> > night about this.  I
> > wonder how good this work is?
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM, D. Scott Moore, DO,
> > MS <[log in to unmask]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have a friend who has a colicky baby and was
> > trying to counsel him.
> > > Have any of you heard of research using probiotics
> > (Yogurt or Acidophilis)
> > > for treatment of colic?  He had asked me what I
> > thought about it.  Can
> > > anyone anticipate any problems giving a 6 week old
> > baby with colic a
> > > probiotic?  I wonder if a pacifier or nipple with
> > a tiny bit of yogurt on it
> > > would facilitate gut colonization with good
> > bacteria.
> > >
> > > What do all of you tell frustrated fatigued
> > parents?
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >
> > > D. Scott Moore, D.O., M.S., F.A.A.E.M.
> >

> > --
> > D. Scott Moore, D.O., M.S., F.A.A.E.M.
> >
> > For more information, send mail to
> > [log in to unmask] with the message: info
> > PED-EM-L
> > The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
> >

> http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
> http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

--
NOTICE: This email and any documents or attachments are intended solely for
the use of the addressed recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient,

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: